Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:35:31 -0800

There have been interesting replies to my earlier post, which I will summarize in a separate post.

Some of these replies indicate that the following information might be helpful to some celiacs who experience leg cramps as these can lead to serious complications if not treated.

Several people said that certain foods lead to cramps while others relieve them.  This is due to the change that food can create in the electrolyte balance.

Low calcium is a prime cause as is low sodium and potassium.  This loss of electrolytes can result from dehydration  due to exercise, diarrhea, vomiting or fatigue.

Obviously salt will replace sodium,  a banana replaces potassium and just extra water will increase the flow of electrolytes.

A better solution might be a big drink of Gatorade or some drink specially designed to replace electrolytes.

If the cramps become severe and begin to  include the hands and arms, the condition could be tetany which is quite dangerous.  The cramping may eventually include the breathing apparatus and death can result.

Maintaining the proper balance of electrolytes is essential.  Gatorade helps as does a balanced mineral supplement and liquid calcium.  We should all have a remedy or two on hand to use  at the first sign of discomfort.

Other than careful observation and focus on changes in body comfort, a blood test will indicate if the electrolyte levels need attention.

Hope this helps.

Jessie