Robert Arles <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:10:42 -0800

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:47:25 -0500
Gladys Ward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > We are happy to let you know that Zatarain's Long Grain & Wild Rice
> > is gluten free.

I am happy to hear this, however I have always held to the following
information.  Note that the source clearly indicates when foods
are gluten free, and wild rice is not so indicated.

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/cereals.html#wild

> Wild Rice
> Wild rice is not a rice at all but an American grass used as an
> important food by the Indians and early settlers.

OTOH the Canadian Celiac society says:

http://www.celiac.ca/Articles/Fall1990-1.html

> Wild Rice

> Wild Rice is botanically closely related to ordinary white rice. It
> would be expected therefore, that it would not contain gluten.
> Although it has not been clinically tested there seems to be no
> reason to avoid its use.

Because of the wording it seems as though the Canadian Celiac society
may not have done its homework.  What I have always been taught is
that wild rice is not rice.  It may be healthy (for some people), it
may be tasty, but it is not rice.

So be cautious on this one.

(I just took the first two sites that popped up on a web search.  Both
seem credible at first glance)