From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 08:34:52 -0500
Hi, folks.

Well, shortly after midnight this morning, I made my first contact with my
new TS480.  It was an 80-meter CW contact in New Jersey.

The guy said I had a 599 signal on my 80-meter dipole, which was an honest
report.

One real challenge I had at first was setting some of the menus.  I could
get into the menus fine, but had to get sighted assistance from the XYL,
because I didn't know how to change menu settings with the all-important
arrow keys, and where those arrow keys were.

I am having some trouble adjusting the CW sending with the rig.  It seems
that, at 25 WPM, where I like to operate, the weighting of the CW is off, so
I'll have to go into the relevant menu, and mess with that.

I could use some help with a few questions:

1.  Can someone give me a quick tutorial on how to use the various RX
filters ?  I am having trouble figuring out how to consistently use them.
Also, I had a CW filter installed, and would like to figure out an easy way
to toggle it on and off if possible.

2.  How do I access the equalization settings for shaping your audio in SSB?
I found the compressor, but I think there's more to it than just that.

3.  I can't seem to find the jack or jacks for an external speaker, or the
headphones.  I assume they're somewhere on the main radio, not the control
head unit?

4.  I have noticed that, on 40 and 80 meters, the frequency change for CW
signals is opposite of SSB signals on those bands.  Is this normal?  I
originally thought that I had the CW reverse on, but I now don't think so.

I may have more questions, but I think this is it for now.

If anyone wants to e-mail me privately, rather than cluttering up the list
here, please use:

The XYL has been extremely patient through my TS480 adventures so far, and
through my efforts to resolve my IC746 output power problem, so I'll be off
list and off the air for at least part of the day to celebrate Christmas
with her and some friends, but I'll get to any e-mails I can as time allows.

The TS480 is turning out to be a great rig, although it does have a bit more
of a learning curve than I've had with other rigs.  But then again, I think
it's partly the new technology that's making it that way.  I also think it
will perfect for my HF motor home installation which, of course, is my
ultimate goal.

73 and Merry Christmas from Tom behler: KB8TYJ