BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:31:08 -0500
Rudy writes:

 >>we need to be smart and ask the
question "what works and what do we know"
We need to build houses of quality that last for hundreds of years and
not just twenty. <<

Just last month I submitted my session proposal for the Traditional
Building Conference in Boston next March. I'm astonished that my
write-up begins with your words: "what works and what do we know."

**********************************
Title: Looks Great! (but will it last?)
Practical testing of products, materials and methods.

What will work best? You never truly know, but one method or material is
bound to work better than another, and that you can know. The process of
comparative field testing skirts around all of the commercial product
marketing hype and its brand-name belief system. We dare not depend
solely on the biased marketing from the building product manufacturers
as our only source. We must depend on our own information, experience
and knowledge.

John Leeke shows how he adapts the scientific method with his famous
farm-yard physics and kitchen chemistry approach. Simple side-by-side
tests clearly demonstrate which methods and materials perform best over
time. Test are done ‘on the cheap’ with costs and results shared by
tradespeople, contractors and building owners. Detailed documentation
and publication assure results are available over the long-term to
future owners and workers. Immediate benefits include controlling
project costs and demonstrating worker capabilities--a good way to
overcome many of the unknowns in building preservation. Over the
long-term future maintenance costs are reduced--a good way to save more
historic fabric. Learn how to set up effective testing and how to use
the results.

Participate in the open planning for this session at Leeke’s Historic
HomeWorks Forum:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1270

Take care, work safe and keep in touch.

John
by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

John Leeke, American Preservationeer
26 Higgins St.
Portland, ME  04103
207 773-2306