From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:37:11 -0400
Yes, put a nut on if there isn't one already.  Everything that is part of
your ground system, radial wires, ground rod, or whatever, all need to be
connected to this screw, as well as the braid of the coax.  It needs to be
very tight.  From the base of the antenna, along the screw, there should be:
braid from coax (or connection to that braid), your radial wires, connection
to ground rod (if any),  then also put a washer, then a lockwasher, then the
nut.   The washer will give more  surface for the nut to push  against the
wires and the lock washer will  help keep things tight.

While everything is still loose on the screw, before you tighten it all up,
apply   something like Penatrox or NO-alox which can be bought at Home Depot
in the electrical department.   This stuff prevents  corrosion between the
dissimilar metals involved here:  Aluminum antenna base, copper wires, and
whatever  the screw, nut and washer are made of.   The original hardware
from Butternut is stainless, but these things have a way of getting lost
over the years

I think if you get this thing playing the way God and Butternut  planned,
you will find that the bands aren't really dead.

73, Steve KW3A

.