From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:17:23 -0500
Buddy Brannan writes:
>Have you tried the FireVox plugin for Firefox? Supposedly this helps
>with accessibility somewhat, making Firefox self-voicing.

	No, but that is very interesting to know. I am on a Mac
discussion group and asked about firefox and was basically told
not to bother just yet but wait until the next revision comes
out. It is supposed to be more accessible.

	The firevox plugin sounds like a neat way to go and
maybe that is how they'll make it all work.

	I can tell you this, as both a Linux and a Mac user now,
there's room for all. The Mac does a few things extremely well
and could do a few others better and probably will do so as time
goes on, but there are still many things that Linux shines in. I
am more optimistic about accessibility finally happening than I
have been in a very long time.

	As a final thought, I am playing with a very old Icom
R7000 and a brand new ICR75 receiver to see what kind of Linux
software I can write.

	Both use the Civ interface and Icom has its own weird
protocol which I am still trying to understand. The specs are
open at least you can download them off the web and have at it.
Frequencies are read and written with the least significant
digits first so to make them human-readable, one must reverse
the string of 5 bytes used to convey a frequency in to or out of
the radio. A frequency like 7.125 megs would read like

00 00 05 12 07

in other words, it is BCD encoded. Other bytes set or read the
receiving mode and set memory channels, etc.

	I've just bearly started on this project so I have
nothing to show yet at all.

73.

Martin McCormick