From:
CHRISTOPHER SCHULTE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:00:54 -0500
John,

If you have any external voice synthesizers such as the light talk, or
double talk lt, or accent sa, or even an old braille N Speak, you can
download a program called speakup that compiles right into the kernel of
your linux installation.

You can actually download a full version of linux with speakup already
installed and compiled into it, you just have to tell it what synthesizer
you're planning to use.

If you don't, there is a flavor of linux that comes with a software speech
program already built into it, but I dont' know if your particular laptop is
fast enough to run it.

The web site where you can get speakup is,
http://www.linux-speakup.org
The linux flavor with speech already built into it is called ubuntu, and the
software that it comes with is called orca.

I have the iso of version 7.4 if you'd like to talk off list and exchange
screen names for aim or skype so I can send it to you if you're interested.

73,
Chris, w8cjs
Check out my web site,
http://mysite.verizon.net/w8cjs