From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:51:07 -0500
Most important thing to keep in mind, the antenna system is about 90% of
your success. The best radio with a bad antenna system will be horrible
while the worst radio with the best antenna setup will get out like gang
busters and the coax is key to the antenna system. Again, the best antenna
with cheap coax will kill your signal both ways. As was said in the prior
message, Coax is not a place to be cheap. I've run a lot of different coaxes
over the years and waste a lot of money as I learned when I upgraded to what
I have now, the differences can be noticeable. It's not worth it to use
cheaper coax, even if that means you have to wait a few more months to save
up for better stuff. In my first message, I mentioned the minimums of what
I'd do if it were me. There are good coax loss calculators on the internet,
you can see the differences when you try the various coax types on the
various frequencies there and you look at some numbers and say "no wonder I
noticed the difference there".
The point about how you're going to run it is a great one as well, some just
won't take direct burry and I know people who've had to go out and tear up a
lot of coax because of that after a few months or a year. With a 200 foot
run, I'd bury it so that's something too you have to think about.