ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:51:06 -0600
Representing Christ

Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ:
that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of
your affairs, that
ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the
faith of the gospel; And in nothing terrified by your adversaries:
which is to them an
evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe
on Him, but also
to suffer for his sake; Having the same conflict which ye saw in me,
and now hear to be in me. (Philippians 1:27-30).

It is crucial to live a life that reflects well upon our Lord. A
non-Christian once said of an aquaintance's conversion, "The only
thing different about him is his language; he no longer swears."
People are watching us. Their view of Christ may depend on how you
and I represent Him.

Paul appeals to the Church then and now, "Stand firm in one spirit,
with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel ...
not frightened ... by you opponents" (Verses 27-29).

This statement is a transition, coupling the need to represent Christ
well with the meaning of suffering.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer once stated that to be a Christian is to share in
the suffering of Christ.   Ponhoeffer said for His discipleship with
His life; so did Paul, Stephen, Peter, and many others.

We can be sure that to follow Christ will mean suffering. All
suffering is not physical; it can be emotional, mental, or even
spiritual. Christians will sacrifice their
lives--some in death, all in a living sacrifice.

Living for Christ is frightening. Living without Him is frightening.

Yet in the midst of these statements, Paul speaks of great joy.

Let's pray that God will pour out his Spirit on us so that His joy may fill us.