ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:39:13 -0600
Brad,

The odd thing about this public confession is that I have heard him tell
stories of how broke he was and how discouraged and depressed he was in the
early years of his ministry.  So perhaps he was trying to make a different
point which I have heard others make, such as, happiness is a decision you
have to make or you won't be happy.  There is some psychological truth to
that statement, of course, but I groan every time I hear some Christian
teacher say it or anything like it.  This man's statement was, "In the 30
something years since I have been in the ministry, I can honestly say I have
never been depressed."  I've heard this guy many times and he thinks the
clinical term for depression means what we would normally use for the word
discouragement instead.  Anyhow, God bless him if what he said is true but
God help him if it isn't.

Phil.