From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 13:50:45 -0700
I assume that you are talking about the BIOS/CMOS not recognizing the
hard drive and the optical drive.

Some thoughts on possible diagnostics:

Check the cables conditions and secure attachments of the power and data
cables for the hard and optical drives.

Is the hard drive set as master and the optical drive as slave if on one
data cable?

Does the hard drive have a formated active partition? If the fdisk and
format programs are on a floppy disk supplied by the hard drive
manufacturer, you can use that or obtain one from a computer friend.

Maybe - Check the CMOS battery condition.

The standard model GX240 had a 10 or 20GB hard drive. If you are
installing a "large" hard drive, the BIOS may need to be updated.

BTW  The standard GX240 came with 128MB of RAM. To satisfactorily run
XP, you should have at least 512MB or max out the GX240 with 1GB.

Hopefully you will receive more suggestions from others.

Tom

Darrell Dunn wrote:
> I purchased a used dell optiplex gx240 from a government surplus. When I put a hard drive in it, (clean, no OS) It failed to detect the hard drive and CD Drive during system setup. It does however detect the floppy drive. How can I get it to re-detect these drives? If a software program is required, where do I obtain it? Thanks for any help.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml