From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:03:37 -0500
Some of you are familiar with the tube or hybrid equipment. Anyone have tips
for the Kenwood TS-520 that might be helpful? I picked one up on ebay the
other day for a great price, too good to pass up. It's my backup radio right
now and a toy to play with on weekends, with my group on 10 meters I talk to
and all. I've been using it like my old FT-101E I used to have, tuning for
maximum output on my old ni-Viking meter with the audio tone, and I know by
the sounds on the bands where I am. I wouldn't use it as an every day user
but as a short time backup or weekend driver, you might say, I am very happy
with the radio. If anyone has tips though that might help me, let me know. I
know I love the sound of these radios and the smooth feel of the controls
and really a lot about them, lack of menus and extra bells and whistles I
don't need. AM would have been nice too but I didn't know it didn't have it
until after I got it and for $100 with the MC-50 I'm sure not going to
complain. I mostly bought this to have fun with and as a backup, I hear so
many of them on the bands still.
*note, to the newbie/s, don't think about it. You're better off with voice
frequency read out if you can't see until you know your way by sound around
the bands.*
John Miller N1UMJ
AIM and yahoo messenger: N1UMJ Skype: n1umjjohn
home page:
http://home.comcast.net/~n1umj/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/n1umj