From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:36:16 -0400
Hi, everyone.

Check out this funny story and internet link  about WWV from this week's
Handiham e-letter.

Enjoy!

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ

Fake WWV audio is a hoot!
Tick, tick, tick... 1, 2, 3, 4... Every second counts at WWV.

It's funny how I find stuff to put in the e-letter. This one came about
because Jerry had mentioned to me that he heard a rumor about WWV
discontinuing its HF transmissions, which, as far as I know, is a rumor
without any substance. Anyway, as I was researching WWV, I started with a
Google search.  Seeing a link to WWV on Wikipedia, another of my favorite
web resources, I decided to see what the popular online encyclopedia had to
say. There is, as I expected, a wonderful overview of station WWV on
Wikipedia, and no truth to the closing down HF rumor.  But there was a
bonus: a link to a satire page - a fictitious website presents what WWV
would be like if it were purchased by a commercial radio broadcasting
conglomerate and privatized. The format change would include prerecorded
snappy patter amid the time clicks, and the station would be called "The
Tick":
http://www.lownoiserecords.com/wwv_the_tick.html

Well, I suppose people are used to hearing about things getting
"privatized", so I guess rumors will be rumors!

----