From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 20:41:53 -0400
Hi, all.

It may still be a while, but I'm beginning to think seriously of selling my
Icom 718 HF transceiver, and LDG AT11MP auto-tuner that I use in my motor
home, and replacing it with a Kenwood TS480.

The appeal of this radio for me seems to be its smaller size, and greater
blind-friendly accessibility.

If money were no object, of course, I'd probably shoot for a TS2000, but I
must remain somewhat reasonable given my current financial constraints.

All of this leads me to a few questions about the TS480.  I realize that
these questions are very elementary, so if you want to e-mail me privately
with some answers, rather than taking up space on the blindhams list, that'd
be fine with me.

My private e-mail address is:

Here are my questions:

1.  Do both the 100-watt and 200-watt versions of the TS480 have the
internal auto-tuner?

2.  I've heard that the 200-watt model requires quite a hefty power supply,
or maybe even two separate power supplies.  Is this true, and how do you
guys handle that issue, keeping in mind my need to use space efficiently in
the RV.

3.  What's the cost of CW and SSB filters for the TS480?  Are dealers pretty
good at installing them for you if you ask them to do so?

4.  What's the cost of the required voice chip, and does the voice chip read
everything, including menu items?

5.  Other than not having 2 meters or 440, what's the main difference
between the TS480 and the TS2000?

Thanks very much for your help.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ