From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:09:22 -0400
I see a huge groundswell of underground Internet radio and lots of
nose-thumbing at the music industry heavy hitters. I see a couple
things happening:

1) More underground Internet stations: I think many broadcasters are
willing to pay fair rates for what they do, especially where the
artists are fairly compensated. Once we get into extortion, however,
all bets are off. You push people so far and they'll say, "Fine, I'll
do what I like, and you get nothing."

2) Fewer people will support the major labels and the manufactured
tripe they put out. Now that the top 40 songs all sound the same and
all the artists are booked, not for talent, but for mass appeal to the
lowest common denominator (and good eye candy doesn't hurt--if it
looks good, talent is optional). Well. I think that discerning music
lovers will continue to start going to support indy musicians and indy
labels. I also think that we will see more support and more patronage
of places like www.payplay.fm and www.bitmunk.com where people can
download music and where the artists receive the lion's share of
profits...same with places like CD Baby.

3) We'll see the traditional record companies lose more business as
they try to hold onto it with a tighter strangle hold on their
dwindling support. Especially when talented artists learn that they
don't need the big labels in order to get their work out, and in fact
are more likely to be screwed by them than helped. I see more talented
artists not pursuing the elusive big record deal, opting instead to
build their following on a grass roots level through the net and with
indy-friendly venues like those mentioned above.

In short--the RIAA and the music industry as it currently stands is in
big, big trouble, and if their rate hike goes into effect over the
protests of the public-at-large and broadcasters, their fast slide
will only get faster. Bad in the short term, great in the long term.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
Email: [log in to unmask] or phone 888-75-BUDDY