From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2007 15:09:08 -0400
If you get something like the maldall 510, that's a tri bander, it's what I
have in my go kit antenna. It has a PL259 connector on the end of it, it's a
mobile antenna, the beauty of it is, it needs no ground plain so you can
mount it to literally anything. I often used to set it up on vacations on a
luggage rack mount on the back of a lawn chair or something like that,
railing if there was one small enough with a bupper pad so the mount didn't
ground it or mark up what it was mounted to. That would fit in an attic and
you could actually use almost any kind of mount that might work out for you
for that one. You could even, take a luggage or mirror mount and screw that
to 1 of the beams up there if you don't have a solid floor, you'd be in
great shape if you did that. In my attic for thunderstorms and stuff with
skywarn, I just got an MFJ 2 meter, 5/8 wave antenna that didn't fit all
that well but I bent the radials outward and forced it to stay with the top
of the antenna against the ceiling and the radials holding it as far as the
floor is concerned and it works very well. It's been up there I think for 3
or 4 years now.  It's 2 meters only though, I made another of those myself
for packet which works even better, same identical thing. There are a lot of
ideas like that, but I think I'd look more in to a decent mobile antenna
like the Maldall I mentioned before, or the diamond NR770 or similar that
doesn't even need a ground plain, your mounting possibilities are endless.