ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:55:36 +0100
Hi all,

I'm just writing to share a little bit of what's happening here and why the
stress lines have been rising in the last few days.  I need you to pray now
because things are moving on and, frankly, I think this lady may have to be
out of my life sooner rather than later!

I am privileged to have some help with daily tasks that I cannot do for
myself and the hours that I am given (in terms of money to pay for such
help) are generous.  In fact, for the first time in my life, I can sometimes
get out and really enjoy myself and not just stick to the urgent jobs that
must be done the next time I get some sighted help!  Anyway, I employed two
ladies for a few hours each week to help me with this earlier on this year.
For one, who has three children, it has been a joy and no problem to keep
her children well cared for while she is with me on a regular basis.  For
the other, who has a daughter of seven, it has been a real problem, not just
for me but for both of us and is becoming a bit of a nightmare for me.
Basically, this particular lady is not only needing to look after her
daughter but is wanting all that she wants in life as well, and that
includes squash games and trips to the gym which must fit my schedule.
Well, I worked really hard with her in the months before the Summer break,
as I had discovered that she was taking time out to care for her daughter
and not finding an alternative.  I made a slight alteration to the contract
she had to sign, agreeing some flexibility in the Summer, but she has taken
me rather for granted and not given anywhere near the time she should and
she has persistently requested a start or end time to fit around her life.
Well, the other person who works for me is sick following surgery and I'm
left with no help.  Having worked through the hours that this lady has taken
from me, I have firmly concluded that this has to stop.  She does have a
father for the young girl and they live together, supposedly, as a happy
family;  and she has his sister with whom she apparently gets on extremely
well.  In addition there's an older son by Dad's first marriage and he comes
over sometimes to be with them and look after the little girl when it suits
them.  OK, so she is not totally without help, though perhaps she needs
more.  The problem is that she's not taking up that help, or possibly not
even asking for it, because she wants to be home when she wants to be home
with her daughter and to still keep a job, on her terms.

Over the past few days I have made alteration to her contract to make it
absolutely clear what she can and cannot do if she wishes to continue to be
employed by me.  I have endeavoured to be fair and caring over the past many
months and have given, as I say, in excess of 15 hours, plus a week's paid
holiday whilst I was away and she has taken two weeks' off.  Now, when you
only employ a couple of people, that gets difficult and totally unworkable,
especially as the job is to meet my needs (much more than my wants) and
includes many things that I cannot manage myself.  Anyway, I had to call her
today because the other person will not be able to come in this week and she
said, "Well, I'll try to make one day," when I am supposed to have hours on
four different days by the two ladies and they know I hope they will cover,
at least to some extent, for one another's sickness and holiday.  I have
indicated that I need some firm answer from her in the next day or so and
also that I would like her to take a look at the new contract over the next
few days and sign this before she goes off on holiday.  (She's away for
about eleven days).  I think it is very likely that she will not want to
sign the contract and/or that it could get a bit difficult all round.  (I
learned through a round about route after employing her and not receiving a
reference that she took her only other employer to Court some years ago and
lost the case because she clearly wanted to work her own hours and he needed
full-time employment.  It seems she is still acting in the same manner.)

Anyway, I've probably given you ample to know what's going on and I just ask
for wisdom and that God will continue to help me in all my dealings with
her.

--
Carol

-- Lies imprison; truth frees. The Son frees indeed as the light of His
truth shines in the darkness of our lies. Jesus knows the geography of our
souls,
the origin of our lies, the whole path to deliverance and freedom. --