EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:31:08 +0000
I am a computer instructor in San Jose, California with a nonprofit agency
trying to overcome the "digital divide" I speak Spanish and most of my
students are immigrants from Mexico or Central America. Educational level is
usually between High School and 5th Grade Elementary. A while back a student
came to me who was legally blind according to the California state DMV. I
installed a screen magnifier for her but that did not really work out.
Therefore I referred her to the Lions Club training center for the blind which
has been active in this area for some considerable time. She later came back
and thanked me profusly for the referral. In Mexico there are almost no
services offered for the disabled. Nor in Central America. During the
Sandinista period in Nicaragua, I met a guy from the University of California
who was training people to manufacture wheelchairs from mostly used bicycle
parts.

As you can see, there is a long way to go.
Frank Arnold