From:
Eric Clegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:03:33 -0700
Hi listers,
I think I've found an antenna that has possibilities for my balcony/apartment situation.

I have no financial connection with this company. I'm just posting what it says on their homepage.

Gigaparts in Alabama which is a good dealer sells this.

This isn't cheap but may help out others such as myself with antenna real estate restrictions.

Eric

KU3I

TW Antennas - Home Page

The TW2010 Traveler® Antenna
TW2010 Portable Antenna
 The TW2010 Traveler® is the perfect antenna if you are searching for high performance DX communications in a portable package.

The Traveler® provides five-band, omni-directional communications in an easy-to-assemble package that requires no radial ground system or towers.

The black powder coating assures stealth performance for Hams who operate in areas with deed restrictions or other areas prohibiting permanently installed
antennas and towers.

A low take-off angle - an outcome of the modified-H design - produces maximum skip for successful DX transmissions and contact. The Traveler® can be assembled
in minutes for either permanent installation on a mounting rod, or temporary setup using a sturdy, optional Quadrapod.
TW2010 Mounting Assembly
The Permanent Mounting Assembly is constructed of durable 6061-T6, aluminum, thick-walled, four-foot tubing. The mounting assembly comes in a powder-coated
black matte stealth finish. When mounted TW2010 Traveler® measures 8'3" tall.

The TW2010 Traveler® Antenna comes with the following components:

The TW2010 Controller is housed in a heavy-duty extruded aluminum enclosure. The bright, high contrast, easy-to-read, multi-colored LED front pannel is
designed for ease of operation and readability. The non-marring and non-skid rubber feet are permanently attached to the controller with screws. (included)

The Switching Array adjusts the feed point impedance based on the band width selection. This allows the antenna to produce a lower Voltage Standing Wave
Radio (VSWR). The copper coils effortlessly extend the electrical signal of the antenna reducing heat loss and the amount of wasted power. The TW2010 Traveler®
is a 95 percent efficient antenna system in a small, clean package. (included)
The 65½ foot ultraviolet and weather-resistant Control Cable has power plugs and molded, screw-locked connectors and a polyvinyl chloride (pvc) jacket.
Additional cables can be purchased to extend the length. (One included)
 The Power Cord is 13.8-volt capacity, 2.5mm.  (included)

TW2010 Traveler® Antenna Complete $ 699.95
($24.95 S&H)

OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES
For the TW2010 Traveler® Antenna (above)

Transport Bag:
A sleek black nylon transport bag is available, making Traveler® a fully portable package. The bag is lightweight, but durable. When disassembled and stored
in the transport bag the TW2010 Traveler® weighs only 10 pounds.

Transport Bag: $ 69.95
($4.95 S&H)

Transport Bag

The sturdy aluminum Quadrapod measures 7¾" x 7¾" x 31" when unfolded. Set up and assembly of the antenna onto the quadrapod takes mere minutes. It is perfect
for Ham operators on the go and those who need a temporary but stable installation.

Quadrapod: $119.95
($8.95 S&H)

Quadrapod

Although Traveler® works with all Ham rigs, the automatic band switching mode works with many Icom® models by using the optional interface cable for Icom®
radios. This eliminates the need for manual or rotary switching.

Icom® Interface Cable: $9.95
($2.95 S&H)

Icom Cable1
Yaesu Cable
Although Traveler® works with all Ham rigs, the automatic band switching mode works with many Yeasu® models by using the optional interface cable for Yaesu®
radios. This eliminates the need for manual or rotary switching.

Yaesu® Interface Cable: $19.95
($4.95 S&H)

"Everything about this antenna is first class, from the shipping carton and packing, to the antenna and controls. The first thing that struck me very positively
was the way the antenna was packed - all powdered coated parts where in a plastic sleeve, controls, instructions and cable were boxed separately in the
same carton.

"The antenna is a vertical di-pole, very similar in concept to a competitor (Sigma 5) and that is the only thing in common. The build quality is great
and does not look like it was put together in a garage workshop.

"The antenna is very close to plug and play. The instruction manual in my opinion is well written and illustrated, and makes it easy to get on the air.
Total assembly time for the antenna was about 8 minutes after reading the manual. Not one problem putting it together. I like the folding arms, should
be great for portable use. The other nice feature is no nuts and bolts -- about 80% if the antenna is assembled when you get it.

"The control box for band switch is great, push button with LED indicator lights and built like a tank.

"The antenna, at least for me, required no adjustment of the tuning coils. SWR's on all bands were 1.1 to 1. , max was 1.5 on 17M. I used my LDG tuner
to make the final adjustment, but you really don't need the tuner.

"How well did it perform? Great!! I worked GB100J (England Boy Scout's SE), France, the Ukraine, and Slovenia, CA, Utah, and Washington state on 20M phone.
On Sunday I got all my 10M contacts needed for 10-10 International. I was using my TS-480HX, running about 100 watts. Signal reports were S8 to S9.

"I compared the antenna to my friends G5RV and Hustler vertical. It was about 1-2 S units better than both and much quieter than the Hustler and no need
for radials.

"I think this antenna is well worth the price, compared to others of similar design, and no need for a 5 gallon bucket of cement (Quadpod is available)."

Randy
W9RTB