From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:50:17 -0500
Hi.

Well, it is becoming enough of a headache at work that on some of our
systems that need to stay up 24/7 we are looking at retiring those licenses
and switching to Window-Eyes.  I am going to be doing compatibility testing
with Window-Eyes this week with our Point Of Sale software, and if it
works, we are pulling the trigger.  I had an illuminating morning several
weeks ago when we had to reimage one of our cash register machines and had
a miserable time resetting the ILM Authorization necessitating a call to
Freedom Scientific.  That wasn't a huge deal then, but suppose we had
gotten the call on a Sunday when there is no tech support.  Our stores do
have Sunday hours.  This POS software is pretty DOS-like, so I suspect
Window-Eyes will do better with it anyway.

My point though is that a couple of years ago, my organization would have
just bought JAWS, no questions asked, but we are changing our outlook and
are looking at competing products and are considering retiring JAWS when
the it looks like it might be a support headache or when development would
be easier with other products.  Bluntly, the JAWS Frame Manager isn't that
stable, and it has some bugs in it.  When that type of solution is needed,
Window-Eyes is almost always more reliable.

When a solution requires scripting, then JAWS is still a better approach.

My point is that whether they realize it or not, they are losing some sales
because of their ILM scheme.  Maybe not a lot, but they are losing some.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]