From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:44:38 -0400
I guess after 25 years of happy coexistence, the air force base decided now
that some UHF repeaters in the area, including all the ones on the cape,
were interfering with them and sent out letters back in February or March.
They were supposed to correct the problem by July first but they won't even
tell the repeater owners what they're bothering or where so they can't move
antennas or something. I guess they dropped all the repeaters down to 5
watts hoping that would fix the problem and haven't heard any more on it but
5 watts on a UHF repeater isn't much. Especially when they used to cover all
of cape cod with the system, I don't know for sure but from my travels
through there every year of my life, every summer, that's got to be a
nightmare in a lot of areas. Where I'll be staying this year it won't be bad
but where I used to stay I'd bet you can't do anything with UHF repeaters
anymore and that's so close to the base anyway actually that you probably
don't dare run a mobile there with any power. We'll have to see when I'm
down there but I know when the band was decent I could make the closer
repeaters from home. Now, I can't even begin to hear them.