From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:57:41 -0400
I assume you are putting the mounting post  at the base of the antenna into
the ground.   You should drive it all the  way into the ground until the
fiberglass insulator is just above ground level.  If you are having a
problem getting it down far enough, put a piece of wood on  top of the
fiberglass  and hammer down on the wood to prevent splintering  the
fiberglass insulator.

if you want to get ambitious, Butternut says to  dig a hole, insert the
mounting post,  and fill with concrete.  Before the concrete sets up, rotate
the mounting post to keep the concrete from sticking and you  will be able
to pull it out at a later date.

Best thing is to find a piece of pipe  whose I.D. is about the same as the
O.D. of the mounting post. Don't use pvc for thisA piece of metal fence post
or emt.  Drive the pipe into the ground and slip the mounting post into it.
Unless you are in a swamp,it's not going anywhere.    You could also use
u-bolts to anchor the mounting post to an existing solid support, such as a
fence or deck.  Use at least 2 u-bolts, 3 would be better.  But if you use
the u-bolt thing, be aware that Butternut  says to  slip a piece of pipe
over the mounting post first.    You can crush the mounting post by
clamping it too tightly with the u-bolts.

73, Steve KW3A