From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 23:35:19 -0400
Hi.

Ten Tec used to sell a model 1140 circuit breaker which happened to be the
same breaker they used in that power supply.  I used it with an Astron
RS35M, and it worked fine for protecting the Delta.  The theory was that if
the SWR went up the radio would start to pull more current, and if you had
an appropriately sized breaker, you could cut the radio off very
quickly.  These were fast acting breakers--they would trip much more
quickly than a fuse would blow.

I don't know if these breakers can still be found, but it was a nifty way
to use a good husky power supply.  I mounted the breaker in a plastic Radio
Shack project box, and placed it just behind the rig where I could
conveniently reset it if the breaker ever tripped.  I ran a pretty good
antenna tuner with decent antennas in those days, though, so SWR really
wasn't a problem.

By the way, I still have the Ten Tec 228 Antenna Tuner which was a cosmetic
match for the Delta and the Argosy radios.  It was a superb tuner for a 200
watt class tuner.  I had a Dentron Super Tuner for a while too, and the Ten
Tec 228 outperformed it hands down.

If you are looking for a tuner for the 100 watt class rigs and you are
after a manual tuner, and you see one of these, grab onto it.  By the way,
you can also look at the Model 227 tuner.  The 227 is just the 228 without
the SWR bridge, which doesn't do most of us any good anyway.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 03:48 PM 7/8/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi;
>You will enjoy the delta.  It was one of my first radios when I was getting
>back on the air years ago.  The notch filter although not automatic is
>amazing for its day.  True it will eliminate only one tone at a time but
>they are really eliminated.  Its a shame there was no speech board.  Are you
>using the matching power supply?
>Tentec implied back then that you had to, and the entire package shut down
>if the swr got to high which wouldn't happen with another supply.
>Have fun
>Richard

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK