Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:19:52 -0800
7bit
From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Tom,

I'll try to give you a fair comparison.  When people say the transmit audio
on the 480 isn't as good as the 2000, it's simply a matter of degree.  The
480 is not less than optimal as you said, it is simply not the hifi sound
you can get from the 2000.  This is due to the fact that the maximum
bandwidth allowable on the 480 is 2.4 kHz while the maximum available on the
2000 is 3.0 kHz.  Both have TX EQ capability where you can shape the audio
to your satisfaction although I found no EQ with the hand mic on the 480 is
great for mobile.  It works particularly well with the processor on.  Of
course, the 2000 would have better fidelity and will give you great sound
from a Heil Goldline for example while the 480 will not.  However, the audio
of the 480 compares nicely with rigs in the past I have owned such as the
TS-440 and a couple of the Icom radios I've owned.  I think it's head and
shoulders above what comes out of the 706's for example.  If you look at
things with a different perspective, who wants hifi audio in a mobile
signal?  I, for one, want a signal with a lot of punch.  In all the contacts
I've made with the 480 and just the stock hand mic, I've never had a bad
audio report and am heard quite well.

There is no way that I, personally, would give up the portability of the 480
for the things you want to do with it just because it won't produce hifi
quality audio.  I would much rather run my 480 portable or mobile,
especially since I have it rigged up in a nice rolling bag than I would cart
the 2000 everywhere.

There, you got my opinion--perhaps more than you really wanted.  <GRIN> I
hope it helps and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX