Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 15:57:30 -0500
Jim Stevenson writes:
> Ccrane sells internet radios that work through a broad band wireless
> connection
> that receive internet radio.
> Ccrane says they are not accessible, and require on screen menus.
>
> Have any of you been able to work them?
>
> Does anyone else sell internet radios that do not require Winblow$?
>
> dos or linux or a stand alone box would be fine.

	If you set up a system with Linux and get the ALSA sound
working, a whole lot of possibilities open up.  You can install
mplayer and listen to internet radio to your heart's content.
Some web sites are infected with javascript to the point of
uselessness, but mplayer seems to be able to receive all the
Windows Media, QuickTime and RealAudio streams as soon as you
can get the resource file for the stream.  That is usually the
problem if there is going to be one.

	I listen to the BBC, Radio Australia and a few other
Internet feeds via mplayer and life is good.

	I don't know of any appliances that are accessible but
the computer sure is and it plays Internet radio just fine.

	The main thing is that you must get a working Linux
system with the ALSA or Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
modules for your sound card working.  All the other neat things
such as mplayer, bladeenc for converting .wav files to mp3, and
mpg123 an mp3 player, expect working alsa so you have to get
that going first.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer