ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 19:43:18 -0600
A Little Fishing Sermon

Hi all!

Today was a very special day for me. For the first time I can ever remember,
I was invited to go fishing with some acquaintances, one of whom is a good
friend who goes to Daybreak. I've wanted to go fishing with him for a long
time. I am rarely invited by friends, except of course by family.

In my past, I've been hurt several times in relationships with people who
are fun-loving and invite me to do things with them, because, in some way or
another, we had negative experiences that end up causing a parting of
company or limited contact. Either they have their own problems, didn't
understand mine, or I dealt with mine in a negative way. One thing that is
bothering me with this blossoming rapport with this couple is the fact that
the man, J, and his stepson B, both drive for one of the companies that
transport Medicaid clients to such places as day treatment centers or doctor
appointments. B has a problem of driving offensively rather than
defensively. It seems that he gets into close calls of accidents, and it
causes nervousness in some of the clients. In spite of this, the company
doesn't seem to want to let him go for good. It seems that J himself is a
good driver and a law-abiding citizen, but some of us who know about this
wonder if the connection between these two drivers has anything to do with
not firing B for his reckless driving. So I wonder if this relationship will
have a bitter ending as well.

Another thing I'm wrestling with is the fact that we, as followers of Jesus,
need to be willing in our hearts to give up all we have and all our pursuit
of personal interests, for His sake.

But it seems the lord has taught me a fishing lesson. About 2000 years ago,
Jesus said to His disciples, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat
and you will find some." (John 21:6) there is another incident in which
Jesus encouraged them to do something similar. In both instances, the catch
they brought up was more successful than anyone could imagine! He also
invited those fishermen to follow Him, with the promise that He would make
them fishers of men.

Perhaps, today, He is saying several things:

1. Even when I ask you to give up what you think you enjoy the most, I'll
come down to your level of interest and give you blessings beyond your
wildest dreams.

2. Don't ever give up on looking for the kind of friendship you desire; just
cast your net on the right side and you'll find some!

And FYI, we sat in comfortable chairs and fished on the bank, and my
Daybreak friend sat alone on a bridge to wait for his catch. the two men
caught one fish each that they could have kept, but they put them back. Yet
the weather was beautiful, and it was a great day of rest, on the Payette
River in Idaho.

Sharon