ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:28:13 -0600
That's Why We Pay Taxes

The Church Today

By Phil Scovell

     The church has changed.  A woman in need of a wheelchair is
referred to a government agency because, after all, why should a
church have to pay for a standard wheelchair for 500 dollars, or
an electric wheelchair for several thousand dollars, when a
government agency will buy it?  Besides, isn't that why we pay
taxes?  Of course, if she now needs wider doorways in her home
and a ramp up to her front door, or special adaptive equipment for
her car so she can continue to drive, the church certainly
shouldn't have to pay for that when the government can and should.
A blind man, who needs new prosthetic eyes for cosmetic purposes
and to improve his overall facial appearance, shouldn't expect the
church to be responsible since his insurance company can pay the
6,000 dollars for the eyes and the thousands of dollars required
for the corrective surgery.  Isn't that why we pay taxes?  The
husband, whose wife dies of cancer, can in no way expect the
church to pay for his wife's burial even if he doesn't have any
coverage to pay for the funeral home and cemetery plot.  I mean,
this isn't what the church does.  Besides, that's what insurance
companies are for.  So what if the guy can't afford the premiums?
We preach the Gospel, for crying out loud, not insurance policies,
and we can't be expected to do socially oriented things.  Besides,
isn't that why we pay taxes?  The bipolar man or woman, or the
bulimic or anorexic or PTSD, or OCD, or General Anxiety Disorder
individual, or the Personality Disorder person, or the mentally
ill in general, most certainly can't rely on us to help them.  I
mean, after all, this isn't a hospital we are running here and
most certainly isn't a psych hospital; that's for sure.  Besides,
isn't that why we pay taxes?  You people with CP, MS, MD, CA, FM,
PG, ADD, ADHD, DID, UA, VD, DUI, diarrhea, habitual masturbatory
problems, marijuana addiction, alcoholism, mental disorders,
baldness, foot fungi, suicidal tendencies, skin rashes, tooth
decay, sexually abnormal fetishes, and gas can't expect the church
to do what only the hospital can do for you.  We preach the Gospel
and minister to only the spiritual needs.  You know?  Salvation?
Well, there is one other thing.  Two, really.  You must give us 10
percent, once you are saved, of course, and you must attend every
time the doors are opened.  Otherwise, rely on the government for
everything else.  thank you Jesus and praise the Lord.  Isn't it
about time to take up the offering?