From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 20:00:51 -0400
Hi.

Do you know what the lawsuit is based upon?  If it is that Serotek uses
many of the same keyboard commands that JAWS uses, having a similar "look
and feel" then I should think that should tweak a few antennae at GW Micro
as well, since they just implemented an alternative "JAWS" keyboard
layout.  Truly, that is the only reason that I could think of why Freedom
Scientific would be sueing Serotek.  Unfortunately, they are not the first
to do so.  In fact, I remember when Lotus sued Borland because Quattro had
the same look and feel as Lotus 1-2-3 (way back in the golden days of DOS).

Looking at this from Freedom Scientific's point of view, if I were in their
shoes, and my trademark had been infringed upon by a competitor, no
petition in the world would stop me from taking them to court.  After all,
that is their life blood.

It is amusing because only about two weeks ago, I remarked to my manager
that there were enough similarities in the commands for System Access and
JAWS that I was surprised that they weren't being sued by Freedom Scientific.

It's too bad because I think Serotek has some really innovative technology,
and they could teach FS a thing or two about gaining access to a system
without impacting the rest of the system.  But I think that if they don't
rethink that interface, they will probably be put out of business by
Freedom Scientific.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK