From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:25:16 -0500
Hi Matt, I've had and used a couple of the 9406 radios, as well as a 9420,
the twenty meter version.  They make a 9475, 9440, 9420, 9406 and 9402, for
single band operation on those bands, I don't think there's one for 17, 15,
12, or 10, although I may be wrong.  If you go to the mfj enterprises site,
you can find out.  At any rate, the radios are very simple, very efficient
and in my experience, very good.  they have no speech or cw accessibility
built in, but they do have a one knob frequency tuning control, with an
atatched pointer behind the knob, a volume control, and a RIT/receiver
incramental tuning control, as well as a power on-off button, all those
controls on the front.  there's a mic gain/power output or ALC control
screw adjustment in the back, the radio puts out about 12watts, ssb, they
have very good speech compression and punch, they sound much bigger than
they are in terms of their on air signal.  There's a cw module which can be
added to any of them, which will make them operate on both ssb and cw modes.
they use a mic resembling one of the Radioshack handmics, have a top of the
cabinet speaker, a coax antenna plug, barel type/like on the htx202 power
connecter, They're not for everybody, but for a very simple, very portable,
very low power usage radio, they're hard to beat.  I've seen examples sell
for anywhere from $75 to more than two hundred on the used market, depending
on condition and options.  The new ones with no cw module sell for between
270&300$S.  For a monoband QRP type rig, they're hard to beat, and most of
the folks who have them with their expectations geared to what the radios
really are, swear by, rather than at the little things, and most are pretty
lothe to selling them.  Hope This Helps, Danny.