From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:00:47 -0400
    I agree with you on this, John.  One of our main rigs at our county EOC
is an IC706 Mark II.  G, and with a good antenna, which they should have
anyway, I can get wherever I need to go in our local area on 5 or 10 watts.

Remember that old rule--use only the power needed to get the communications
through.

Besides, if you need full power, you should be able to use it.  If the EOC
is well planned, they will have a generator or some other means to support
more high-powered communication if necessary, should commercial  power be
lost.  At our EOC, we can easily use 100 watts on HF, and more if needed,
although we'd have to bring in an HF amp from the outside for that.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ