From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:55:18 -0400
Hi, all.

I just got off the phone with the folks from R and L Electronics, and found
out the following things about the various accessory cables for the TMV71A.
The PG5G programming cable goes for approximately $32, but is not part of
the PC cable bundle we mentioned yesterday.  The PC cable bundle consists of
the PG5A data cable, and the PG5H PC interface cable, and apparently runs
for approximately $55.
The sales guy I talked to wasn't exactly sure what each of the PC cables
does, but I would suspect that the data cable is for packet, APRS, etc.,
while the PC interface cable is for the echo-link interface.

And, this brings up a question:

How does the echo-link interface that is built into the radio work?  In
other words, what is the difference between the TMV71A, and say the TMV7A
when it comes to working with echo-link?  Relatedly, what's the advantage of
the built-in echo-link interface  that the TMV71A apparently contains?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy the PC interface bundle, but hate to
spend the extra $55 if I won't really use it.

Thanks, and 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ