From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:13:59 -0700

In September, my hubby & I went to The Western Washington State Fair in
Puyallup, WA.  We found a vendor booth advertizing & selling gluten free
food mixes.  There were about 6 or 7 colorful chip dips on display for
sampling.  The women in the booth asked me if I'd like to sample the dips.
Yes, of course!  Then she offered me a pretzel stick for dipping.  I asked
if the pretzels were regular pretzels or gluten free pretzels.  They woman
looked puzzled & said, "regular, I guess."  I asked if people had been
dipping these pretzels into the dips all day.  They had.  I then explained
to this under educated employee that their dips had all been contaminated w/
gluten from the pretzels.  The poor woman appeared flustered & bewildered.
I don't blame her for not knowing.  The company she worked for should have
educated her before putting her in a booth promoting GF foods.  I don't
remember the product brand name, but I certainly wasn't favorably impressed
by their presentation!

This incident really drove the message home that we gluten intolerant can't
be too careful about what we put into our mouths and who we trust to prepare
food for us.

~Valerie in Tacoma