ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:00:22 -0600
Why We Doubt Our Salvation

Acts 16:25-33.

If you've trusted in Jesus Christ but still doubt your salvation,
then your whole life  can be thrown off balance. Key areas of faith
begin to crumble. And you limit the Holy Spirit's work in your life.
It's impossible to live an effective, empowered, Spirit-filled life
if you're always facing doubts about your eternal salvation.

Why, then, do believers sometimes doubt? Let's consider five key reasons:

First, sin. Disobedience hurts our prayers and spiritual
understanding. So it's  understandable how sin can confuse our
understanding of salvation.

Second, believers doubt because of false teaching. If you've been
taught that salvation is dependent upon good works, then you've been misled.

A third reason believers doubt is due to an overemphasis on emotions.
Too often, the salvation experience is tied to an "emotional high."
This leads many people to doubt their salvation during times of
life's natural "emotional lows."

A fourth reason is disbelief. Acts 16:31 clearly states, "Believe in
the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved." If you've made this saving
confession, then you're saved. When you doubt the truth of this
statement, you fail to take God at His Word.

A fifth reason believers doubt is due to satanic attacks. As we
learned earlier this week, the Enemy's goal is to alienate us from
God. One of his most effective tactics is to cause us to question our
standing with the Lord.

If you doubt your salvation, prayerfully examine your heart. Are any
of these five deceptions corroding your faith? If so, allow the Lord
to comfort you with His love and the truth of your salvation.