ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:50:17 -0600
ACLJ

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2007

Dear Sharon,

One of the most significant - and highly contested - rights in our country
today is the right to pray.

Unfortunately, attempts to squelch public expressions of faith have spread
from the courtrooms of our nation to its classrooms.

As concerned parents, grandparents, school teachers, and church leaders, the
most important step you can take right now is to know your student's rights
before he or she sets foot on a public school campus.

In fact, what many do not realize is this:  Prayer is a protected form of
speech that cannot be banned by school officials when it is being offered in
manner such as See You At The PoleTM.

A school official who refuses to allow students the right to pray on their
campus is engaging in censorship.

In recognition of the upcoming nationwide See You at the Pole event this
year on September 26, I have pulled together a
critical and informative online bulletin regarding students' rights ...
and the public schools' responsibility to acknowledge those rights.

Please feel free to share this bulletin with local school administrators -
including principals, board members, and teachers - to advise them on the
current
state of the law.

It is imperative that local school officials be informed in order to avoid
violating the First Amendment rights of students and others.

See You At The Pole and the National Day of Prayer are student events - not
organized or conducted by school administrators or officials.

Students of faith across the nation annually gather with like-minded peers
around the flagpole at their respective schools before classes begin and
pray
for their schools, teachers, administrators, and country.

It is their First Amendment guaranteed religious right to participate in
such an activity ... and it is a bold expression of their faith that should
be
highly encouraged.

Learn more about student free speech rights on public school campuses -
particularly the right to engage in religious expression at See You At The
Pole events on September 26.

And please keep in mind:  This bulletin is for informational purposes only
and is not intended as legal advice.  If you are in need of legal counsel
regarding
a specific situation, you should contact an attorney or the ACLJ for
assistance.

Thank you!

To ensure that you continue to receive e-mails from the ACLJ,
please add [log in to unmask] to your address book.

American Center for Law and Justice
P.O. Box 90555, Washington, D.C. 20090-0555
Phone: (800) 296-4529
Copyright©2007, ACLJ |
Privacy & Security Policy |
Registration |
Unsubscribe

American Center for Law and Justice is a d/b/a for Christian Advocates
Serving Evangelism, Inc., a tax-exempt, not-for-profit, religious
corporation as
defined under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, specifically
dedicated to the ideal that religious freedom and freedom of speech are
inalienable,
God-given rights. The Center's purpose is to educate, promulgate,
conciliate, and where necessary, litigate, to ensure that those rights are
protected
under the law. The organization has participated in numerous cases before
the Supreme Court, Federal Court of Appeals, Federal District Courts, and
various
state courts regarding freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Your gift
is very much appreciated and fully deductible as a charitable contribution.
A copy of our latest financial report may be obtained by writing to us at
P.O. Box 450349, Atlanta, GA 31145-0349.

As always, let us know of threats to freedom in your area by calling (757)
226-2489.  And tune in to our daily radio program, "Jay Sekulow Live!"

For technical problems of any type, contact the tech support staff by
visiting
www.aclj.org/help .
Please provide all the information requested. Please do not use this for
general correspondence as it goes to a technical support area.

How do I discontinue my membership/subscription to this e-mail list? Do not
respond to this e-mail for any reason. To discontinue your membership
automatically,
please follow the link below.  You joined this list as Sharon Hooley at the
following e-mail address: [log in to unmask]  You must use the correct
e-mail
address to discontinue your membership.

If you experience any technical problems and/or do not receive confirmation
that your request has been completed online, please postal mail, phone, or
fax
your request using the contact information listed above. Your request will
be processed within 10 days of the receipt of your request.

Discontinue my subscription

HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE AMERICAN CENTER FOR LAW AND JUSTICE?
Make a secure online credit card donation.

Sharon