ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:04:31 -0700
Brad,

I had been blind for about a year, maybe less, so I was 12 or 13 and after
church one day, I was standing near mom and she talked to people and a
couple walked up and started talking to mom.  Since I was close by, the lady
spoke directly to me and said, "Phil, do you use sign language?"  I was
standing with my teeth in my mouth thinking, "Did this lady just strip a
gear or what," when mom spoke up and said, "No.  He's blind, not deaf."
Thank you mom.  You don't want to ever go out and eat with Sandy and her
older sisters.  The waitress will walk up and one of her sisters will say,
this is our handicapped sister.  She'll need very special treatment because
she's blind, and just about anything they can think to say.  If they are
outside walking down the street and they cross the street, one of her
sisters will yell at the top of their lungs, "Step!" as dozens of people
look around.  I mean, we are speaking of vicious women here.  They show no
mercy whatsoever.

Phil.