From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:43:30 -0500
The first time I tried using a wire with the THF6, I was using about 30
feet.

The resulting signal overload appeared in the speaker as a strong white
noise with lots of splatter.

I placed a small MFJ antenna tuner between the radio and the wire, just as
if I were going to tune the wire for transmitting.

When adjusted to the point of best signal reception on a given frequency,
the overloading noise went completely away, and the receiver delivered a
surprisingly good performance.

This arrangement means hauling one more box and one more patch cable around,
so I usually don't travel with that configuration in mind. But, for a
bedside receiving setup, it really cooks.

My house has real screen on the windows, so I have often clipped a wire to
the screen, and used the tuner for late night bedside listening.

Of course, whenever you want to transmit, you have to disconnect whatever
setup you have, and go back to an appropriate antenna.

I experienced similar performance when I ran a Yaesu VX5R, and suspect the
T90 owners have likewise.

Mike Duke, K5XU