From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 22:23:28 -0400
Or, you could just buy a better pair of speakers, if using ferrite doesn't
work.  I have some high end Harmon Kardin (not sure of the spelling)
speakers that don't buzz at all.  Of course, they aren't $10.00 computer
speakers, either.

--Lou K2LKK

At 11:40 AM 6/5/2007 -0400, you wrote:
> From my experience, some computer speakers, you're not going to fix it. The
>amplification in those is so cheap and garbage and unfiltered or anything,
>it's just something you'll have to deal with more than likely. Grounding to
>a cold water pipe may not help either though as most often if you do it
>after the meter, supposedly the meter can isolate you from that actually
>grounding though I don't always trust that, but worse than that, a lot of
>times either the electrical can be grounded there which should make RFI
>issues worse and when I was new and starting out, my water pipes acted as
>part of the antenna when I did that. It never showed up on the SWR or
>anything, but it caused a lot more RFI than it was supposed to fix and my
>electrical is grounded separate from the water pipe because I have a well
>and most of the line from the well to the tank in the cellar is PVC anyway
>though I didn't know that at the time.
>Short version is though, half the hams I know, myself included go through
>computer speakers in some way, shape or form and there's really nothing most
>of us can do about it, a lot of us around here have tried everything there
>is to tru and nothing helped short of just turning them off and using a set
>of headphones in my case. The sighted hams just shut them off and leave it
>that way.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]