BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Louis Sullivan Smiley-Face Listserv! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:31:42 -0400
Cuyler:

My mother remembered a farm produce stand up on Hector Street before where the big curve started, on the east side of the street (right side on the way up the hill). She didn't remember a cider shack per se (maybe it wasn't the kind of place she would know about).

My grandfather bought an old farm out on Bone Plain Road (out past the West Dryden Community Center) that had a small (maybe 5 acre) pond formed by a man-made dam. There were apple trees all over the property, especially on the downhill side of the dam. The locals were known for making and consuming a type of mead called metheglin from their apple cider. From what I've learned on-line of that brew it sounds like it is a little too sophisticated for Bone Plain Road.

I remember hearing stories about burying a jug of cider in shallow hole in the ground, letting it ferment. The non-alcoholic part would freeze, and the concentrated alcohol part could be drained off. Here's a link that discusses the process, even makes reference to Ithaca, NY:  http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8711

Bruce