Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 20:08:48 -0500

I truly apologize that the numbers/ingredients went astray - - especially to
those who are tired of seeing it appear!!!  I hope this has taken care of
the problem.  If not, e-mail me in reply and I will attach it to you.

MAE'S PIE CRUST (Single Crust)

Double recipe for double crust-sometimes I use a double +1)

3/4 cups white rice flour

1/4 cups cold water

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. potato FLOUR (NOT starch)

1/2 C. scant shortening (Crisco works well-half butter flavor & half

regular)

Spray pie pan before putting crust in!   Blend rice flour, salt, &
shortening in bowl. In a small bowl, with mixer on low speed, gradually add
potato flour to water--stirring quickly or you can use a small whisk. (Do
not pour water onto the potato flour or it becomes gummy-instead put the
water in a little bowl and gently put the potato flour in while whisking
it).

Pour over flour mixture and work in with a spoon; then knead into a ball
with few strokes as possible. I roll between 2 pieces of wax paper that is
dusted with cornstarch (rice flour can be used but doesn't work quite as
well). Flute edges and use for unbaked crust or bake and then put filling
in.  You can press across bottom and up side of pie pan if you don't want to
roll it.  It is helpful to chill in refrigerator first but not necessary.

It is important to use the cornstarch sprinkled on the dough while working
with it to roll it out to prevent sticking, etc.

Here is an apple pie filling that brought compliments at our support group
meeting.

2 Tbsp. GF flour mix (I used Bette Hagman's white rice flour/potato
starch/tapioca starch mix)

1 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. lemon juice

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

2 Tbsp. butter or margarine.

5 cups thinly sliced apples (I used Jonathon apples because I like the
tartness best)

Combine sugar, flour, spices, salt, and lemon juice.  Add apples, toss to
mix.  To the unbaked pie crust, add half the apples, pack well.  Dot with
butter.  Add remaining apples.  Add top pie crust. Brush with milk and
sprinkle with sugar (optional).  Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes or
until apples test done with fork.  May have to cover with aluminum foil
toward the end to prevent burning edges.