From:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:50:24 -0800

Other ideas:
---
I did a lot of my own cooking and food preparation. When I went to college
I did not use the meal plans -- I did everything myself. It was time consuming
and more expensive, but worth it -- otherwise I don't think I even would have
made it through college.
Is it possible for your child to room with some people in a house and get some
mode of transport? I think that may be easier, but if not, I would say the
most crucial items are a refridgerator, some sort of stove -- you can boil
milk, eggs, etc. and broil meats if you have a little stove, a yoghurt maker,
and probably a blender and/or food processor.
---
The staff in the college kitchen is required to cater to specific dietary
situations for their students. When my son was a freshman, he printed out
scd recipes and the staff prepared the foods for him
---
Our daughter is in college and doing the SCD. When she comes home on breaks
we cook up a storm and she takes everything back frozen in meal size
containers or bags. She steams her meals in her dorm room.
---
I have been doing wonders with a crockpot. If your child is allowed one,
maybe he/she could use this until he/she gets the hang of things.
Simply place meat and
spices in the crockpot and you have dinner.
---
Despite working extensively with housing & kitchen staff, our DD
relapsed severely her first semester freshman yr.  With Doctor's Writ,
she was able to get out of her food contract.
At her U, even with ADA status, there was no way that fire code would allow
any cooking gear in rooms other than a small (less than 3.0 cubic foot)
fridge -- and they did monitor fridge size.  ADA status did allow my DD
to switch to a small dorm with a large rarely used communal kitchen.  DD
did recover when cooking for herself.
--
Expect a fair bit of variation among colleges in
terms of what's required before special needs are accommodated.  Our U

Also you want to get a half size refrig WITH a full/across the top
freezer. The usual dorm 1/4 size frig only has room for an ice cube
tray & maybe a popsicle..  Amy's make several gf frozen items but it's
not practical if you have no way to store them.
---
My daughter started college in September and lives in the freshman dorm,
frig and microwave only.  No kitchens at all.  I couldn't tell from your
email if your daughter wants to cook all her meals or if you've considered a
meal plan.  So, for what it's worth, here's our experience.

We wondered what would be easier for our daughter: living in a shared
apartment and making her own food or living in a dorm and eating cafeteria
food.  After lengthy conversations with the food service manager, we decided
that it would be easier for her to have her meals provided.  I first met
with the cafeteria manager last May when we were there for a school visit,
and I described her dietary needs.  Since he seemed agreeable to working
with us and was knowledgeable about different diets (they have a lot of
vegetarians at her school), we decided on a private dorm room and the meal
plan.

My daughter and I have had several conversation with the manager (he gave me
his business card), and after working out a few kinks, my daughter is able
to go to the cafeteria for lunch and dinner and there's a gf/cf meal waiting
for her.  She even gets dessert!  I gave them some copies of her favorite
dessert recipes, and one worker there who likes to bake prepares dessert for
her every Sunday with enough to last the week.

We never did need to write a letter.  Everything was done verbally.  But, at
one point when we were considering requesting an apartment, they told us to
request it in writing explaining that our daughter needs a kitchen to have
control over the food that she eats due to health reasons.  In hindsight,
having to prepare her own food every day would have been harder for her as
well as isolating since the other freshmen are eating in the cafeteria
together socially.
---
apply to Rennselaer in Troy, NY! The dining hall manager has celiac
sprue, and is very aware.
There also is a separate allergy foodservice room off of the dining room.
My son can e-mail the chef in the morning with his dinner wishes, and
have it made for him. He is  not a very "think ahead" guy, though, and
is always happy with what they serve. He also has a microwave &
refrigerator that he shares with a roommate. (I do send "Care"
packages now & then.)
---
Check www.celiacdisease.net, college 101. If your child's college
receives any public funds, they must provide for the student under the
American Disability Act.  A microwave in her room would be good.
---