From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:08:45 -0700
On 15 Sep 2006 at 23:36, Venkat Viswanathan wrote:

> (1) what is LS 120 in the boot menu options?.

  LS120 is/was a high-capacity floppy format, similar in concept to an
Iomega "Zip" disk.  Widely supported as a boot device choice, but not widely
adopted in actual systems.

> (2) after i shut down the system for the day and start up next day or
> whenever the post msg shows a checksum error and defaults loaded. this
> happens every day. the date goes back to jan 1st 2000 and the LS 120
> boot option appears either second or third in rank, and the initial
> display reverts back to pci slot. if i press f1 to continue the video
> comes on fine but the dates get messed up and my avg antivirus task
> bar icon goes black because of the wrong dates

  The checksum error indicates that the CMOS config information is
corrupted.  This mechanism exists to tell a blank/garbled config from a good
one.

> (3) i tried changing the cmos battery twice but still same problem.

  So you know that the checksum error *usuaully* means that the CMOS battery
has died.  But apparently not in this case.  The other possibility is some
other failure of the CMOS subsystem, such that the saved config is not
survivng loss of outside power.

> (4) i have of course saved my settings whenever i enter bios after the
> checksum error.

  Actually, you're telling the BIOS to save them, and presumably it is
trying to do so.

> (5) why are the bios settings not getting saved?. cmos chipset fried
> or going that way?

  Since replacing the battery doesn't fix it, this is the next logical
probability.

> (6) other than this the system runs fine and is mainly used for
> e-mail, surfing, some word processing, card games (not on line)etc

  So nothing that would justify a UPS and leaving it on all the time....

David Gillett