From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:21:32 +1000
Don wrote:
>  I think the program placed these things into a "Volt". Before I shut the
> computer
>down is there something I should be doing with these files? When I try to
>delete the files from the "Volt" I get a warning message, "Do you really
>want to remove the file from the virus volt?" I'm not sure what to do here.>>

When AVG detects a possible virus threat, it removes that threat into its
"Vault". Think of it as a security safe, from which nothing can escape. The
potential threat is now isolated without ever having been executed.

It does that just in case it has made a mistake or has removed something
you really want. Now you have the op[tion of either finally destroying
those files by deleting them from the Vault, or restoring them.

You can, if you wish, leave them in the Vault for a few days, in the highly
unlikely event that AVG has made a mistake and some part of your system
won't function without one of them. If all is well, then you can safely
delete them later on. If you are doubtful, leave them there for a few days.

I've never known AVG to make a mistake, so it should be OK to delete those
files from the Vault immediately. It's your choice.

If your system has been infected, you should also disable all System
Restore points (there's no point in restoring a system which may be
infected). Viruses often plant their seeds in the Restore section. Once all
Restore Points have been deleted by disabling System Restore, it can be
re-enabled again. Hopefully you'll then have a clean system back.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml