C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:34:35 -0600
Linda,

There are other "risks" that people with disabilities have long been either
denied the right to participate in, or at least strongly discouraged from
doing.  I hope by the time Case is old enough to get married or start a
family, they won't be an issue, but as of today they are.  With the work
you've done with abused women, I'm sure you're familiar with the forced
sterilization of people (mostly women) with disabilities that was done to
eliminate that "risk."  When Janet and I were trying to start a family, we
encountered some family members and professionals who either actively
discouraged us, or asked questions that made it apparent that they were
opposed to the idea.

 I think the term "risk" is used to "push the envelope."  "Full
participation," to me, seems too mild for someone who wants to go whitewater
rafting or skydiving.  My sister considers full participation to be sitting
in the ski lodge with a "Hot Schnaclate" (Hot chocolate and Schnapps), while
I'd much rather be out on the slopes, and if I turn the bi-ski over during
the day once, I feel like I'm testing the limits of my abilities.

--

Kendall