C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:16:57 +0100
On Saturday 20 October 2007 16:32:22 ken barber wrote:
> well, i can go elsewhere right now.
>
> one can't help but wonder if this kind of practice is
> allowed to proliferate, then persons with chroni c
> conditions that require a heavier dose of a med than a
> "standard person" would be without service if they
> left one area and tried to get a new doctor in a new
> area.
> defacto discrimination.
>
> i admit deri is right that socialized medicine would
> take care of this, but then i read of the long waiting
> list, people pulling their own teeth, and canadians
> coming here for quick treatment and that scares me a
> bit.

Hi Ken,

Actually dentistry is not fully covered by the National Health Service. It is
virtually impossible to find a dentist who accepts NHS patients, it is
required to "go private" to get any treatment. So if you can't afford it you
don't get treated!!

Waiting lists are prioritised on "need", usually wait times are less than 3
months, but urgent cases get priority. We also have "private medicine" here,
if you really can't wait to have a nasty mole removed, by all means pay to
have it done straight away.

Cheers

Deri