C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 01:05:11 +0100
On Friday 20 April 2007 18:58, greta von der luft wrote:
> Hello,
> Also for those Europeans, specifically Brits (I do not say this in a
> derogatory fashion), learning disability is the equivalent of mental
> retardation in the US.  I was not aware of this. So what is the Brits
> equivalent of learning disability a la US?
> Hmmm
> Greta
>
> -----------------------

Hi Greta,

I think in the UK the distinction is between:-

a) Learning Disability, see:-

<http://www.archive.official-documents.co.uk/document/cm50/5086/5086.pdf>

and,

b) Learning Difficulty, see:-

<http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/deliveringservices/multiagencyworking/glossary/?asset=glossary&id=22885>

These probably explain it better than I can!

Cheers

Deri