C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:20:55 -0400
Hey James!!  I'm Beth the token OT on the list, ok, there may be some
lurking here quietly.  I'm not an expert on foot orthotics but, from talking
to some great PT's who say the newer wisdom is to be very conservative with
the application of orthotics.  If she's able to walk fine, the joint is
stable, etc, usually only a good pair of shoes for long distances with lots
of play without shoes helps.  Toe walking needs to be watched and needs to
be evaluated as to why she is toe walking, sensory, visual, motor problems
can be causes.   Your doc should also have you go get your daughters vision
checked as this is sometimes a cause of toe walking.
It is confusing because, a lot of it depends on what philosophy your
practitioner utilizes.

Beth t the OT