From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:11:25 -0500
Well, Steve, there's only one thing wrong with that picture.  I believe
Anthony said he and Lou heard the switchover in 1965 not the 1930's.
Besides, I have spoken to Anthony on the phone and he doesn't sound old
enough to date back to the 30's.  It may be that the grandfather clause you
referred to dates back to the early 30's when the W and K boundaries were
decided on and stations who already had their call letters were exempt from
changing them.  Now if KDKA say were to decide to changes its call letters
today, they would have to conform to the lead call letter of W which is
probably why they don't do it because of the historical significance of
their call letters which list as the first commercially operated radio
station in the country.
Harvey