From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:25:12 -0400
Brett,

I have two: the Boston Receptor and the Sangean HD1, which is an AM/FM
tuner.  The Receptor sounds good, and it's easy to use especially if you set
up presets.  I don't think it's particularly sensitive, especially with the
antennas provided, but it works well with strong signals.  I like the fact
that the two speakers can be separated about 10 feet if you use the long
cord that comes with the radio.

If you're looking for something to connect to an existing stereo, you can't
beat the Sangean HD1.  I haven't seen any published specs, but it seems to
have good selectivity, and a good capture ratio.  Sensitivity is good,
although I think the front end can be overloaded by strong signals.  Then
again, it's a $200 tuner, and I'm used to my Mackintosh MR77, which is
impervious to overload.  It also cost $600 when I bought it back in 1971, so
perhaps it isn't a fair comparison.  I have yet to compare the two tuners
directly, but one of these days my curiosity will get the better of me.
Meanwhile, the HD1 is a good bare-bones no nonsense tuner, easy to operate,
and works well connected to my 9 element yagi.

Steve