ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:58:37 -0500
Reading this morning I originally was drawn to the reward of sweet sleep
and no fear of the enemy suddenly coming upon us and wanted to draw
attention to that but so much more is offered. What then are the rewards
of wisdom? As you know parts of God's word are metaphorical and others are
literal. For instance when God talks about wisdom calling out in the
streets and that she's waiting at the gate of the city and so forth, well
there isn't  really a woman thousands of years old who goes by  the name
of Wisdom standing at the city limits of every city in the world. So it is
a metaphor showing God's wisdom is everywhere, in every situation, and we
need only look and listen for it, and of course follow it. There are times
however when God says things like do not reprove a scorner or you will
receive disgrace. We know that is a literal statement. He gives us the
ability to discern metaphor from literal if we only ask, I know this
because His Word says so and personal experience has proven it to me. So
knowing that information what then are the benefits of wisdom? And by
wisdom, it is not intended to mean our own wisdom, that is our own
thoughts grounded in our own devices and interests, but that of God's
wisdom instilled in us and we then use it.  What then can we look with
anticipation and graceful expectation to receive from finding, seeking and
using God's wisdom?

If you were to hear wisdom being advertised in an infomercial on TV today,
it might sound something like this...

"Today we're offering a special price on our Wisdom Whizbanger! We're
really out doing ourselves this time folks, never before have we offered
such a deal. If you order today here's what you will get!! Extended life!
That's right folks we literally can extend your life by not only days but
years! And what good would an extended life be if it was a life filled
with fear and strife? So we're also tossing in a life of peace. That's
right. Peace. Not only will you be able to live longer but you will live
longer, with more peace as well. And that's not all. If you order today at
this special offer you will also receive the ability to enjoy favor with
God your creator as well as your fellow man! I know, I know many have
asked us how we can afford to be so generous but we can't believe it
either! We must be poor business people to be offering all of this. But. I
want to tell you there's more! Yes more. If you call now while our
operators are standing by we will toss in not one, not two, but three, yes
three additional gifts for ordering today. Along with a long peaceable
life of favor with god and man you will also receive wealth, riches and
honor! We've really  gone over the edge this time folks, we can't believe
it ourselves! Now if you... wait a minute. I'm getting a call from our
CEO... please excuse me for just one second. 'Yes Charlie what can I do
for you? You kidding! Are you serious! They are not going to believe this,
are you sure about this? Well, OK then. Thanks I'll tell them'. Sorry for
the interruption folks but you won't believe this, that was our CEO on the
phone and, someone hit me so I know I'm not dreaming because not only are
we offering a long peaceable life complete with favor of God and man along
with wealth, riches and honor... I can't believe he's doing this... my CEO
just instructed me that for those  who order right now you will receive a
life of straight paths, correction by a loving Father and that's not all
you also will receive..."

OK, OK. Enough with the infomercial bit :) I think you get the hint. As
cheesy as that staged infomercial was, it yet carries truth in what god
will give us by seeking wisdom. One very important thing I didn't include
in the bit was this...

Keep sound wisdom and discretion, so they will be life to your soul and
adornment to your neck. Then you will walk in your way securely and your
foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you
lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of
the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your
confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.

So if God's Word can be taken literal we know that seeking and obtaining
wisdom and understanding, we know then that we can be secure, confident
and sleep a sweet sleep without fear and interruption. The gift of wisdom
is salvation, it is there for the taking, we only need to decide to grasp
on to what has already been given us and reap the rewards of the offer.
One difference between salvation and wisdom is there are times in life
when  we need to decide to apply wisdom. In salvation it is a gift in
which we only choose to grasp on to and the Lord does the saving. With
wisdom, we grasp on to the precepts in our given situations and yes God
does the rewarding or sees to it that we do have favor with Himself and
man that we do have riches, wealth, peace and all wisdom promises in His
Word. But we do need to decide to use it, to grasp on, to apply it to our
lives, to hold our situations  up to the light of God through His gift of
wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Imagine if you told your son to run
to the grocery store and get a loaf of bread. He then asks well how do I
get there. So you give him some written instructions. He runs and gets the
bread then runs off doing whatever. Then you ask him to run to the same
store and get some milk. He asks again how to get there.  So you point out
that you gave him written instructions. "Oh yeah, I forgot" he says.  Goes
off, comes back with the milk and goes about his business. Later you ask
him to get some eggs from the store, and again he asks how to get there.
Soon it would get a bit irritating would it not?  We would wonder why
isn't he using his knowledge of what I gave him instead of continually
asking me over and over how to get there. Years ago I was being counseled
by a wise man of God with some great insight and application of God's
Word  and I was just learning how to apply God's word to my life. He said
seeking God  in prayer for things in life, for direction is of course
needed but praying about whether to  put salad forks out with the meal is
just irritating and not necessary. Obviously he was exaggerating to make
the point that some things we have been given a brain, as well wisdom to
use as a team towards our situations in life.  I'll end with a precept
which is kind of a joke at the same time. A pastor once gave this sermon
and he did a wonderful job of it. Folks came to him after the service,
shook his hand vigorously and said how wonderful it was and all that and
he smiled calmly and said thank you. The following Sunday the pastor gave
the same sermon. Folks cordially smiled, yawned  and nodded as he gave the
sermon and when he was done they again said how nice it was, shook hands
with a slightly looser grip this time,  and smiled with a bit of forced
lips. The next Sunday the pastor gave the very same sermon. Well the
elders began to wonder if there wasn't something wrong with the pastor.
One more week went by and dang nabit if he didn't do it yet again. Well
finally the elders took the pastor aside after the service and asked him,
"Umm. Pastor? Umm. are you aware you've given the same exact sermon, uh,
several weeks in a row now?"

He replied. "Yes I know I have. And I'm going to keep giving it until you
folks begin to actually do it".

I read one of the articles  on a link Phil gave us to look at from George
Muller I think was his name. I really recommend the article which talks
about reading the Word of God and not so much man's books. That is  not to
say teachings, encouragements and etc. are not helpful, but it is God's
Word that can teach itself if you dig in and that ought be the stable of
your instructional diet. Nothing replaces His Word.

Brad