From:
"J.E. Cornell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 15:33:48 EDT

Please excuse my delay, but I get Celiac List Postings by Digest.  Over the
last few days there has been some discussion about getting commercial products
from big companies versus small, health food oriented companies, etc.  The
solution suggested by some is to do everything from scratch.  This is all fine
and good, but some of us have children to raise, jobs to hold down, etc.,
which cuts into the ability of either or both parents to devote several hours
a day cooking special gluten-free foods.  I'm very suspicious of Quaker's rice
cakes, as it is one of the few commercial products my 2 year old celiac son
eats, and sometimes he appears to be having a celiac style reaction.

Here's my question - notwithstanding the assurances of the product box, and
the verbal assurances of the ever helpful customer information people, can any
of you wise people on this list recommend from your personnal experience any
brand name rice cakes which don't give you problems from time to time?

How about other, equivalent snacks & treats?

Thus far, if Eli sees other children having treats (such as wheat based
cookies, brownies, or cupcakes) he's fine if he can have a rice cake or one of
his GF muffins.  For Sunday School and impromptu outings from the house it
would be nice to have a reliable snack to throw in the old diaper bag, rather
than having to constantly be baking small batches of muffins which (from my
experience) have a very very short "shelf life" before they are no longer
edible or acceptable to my son.

To the best of my knowledge there is no good GF bakery in the area (greater
Washington DC area).

Thanks for all those  who have posted private replies to my recent posts.

John Cornell
Rockville, MD